Pretzels

Pretzels

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Picka-chee Patties



I was at work this morning, before I realized that I hadn't taken any meat out of the freezer to defrost. I do technically have a roast in the fridge, but tonight was not a roast kind of night. With Tweety Bird having volleyball practice, that gives me about 40 minutes from starting the meal, to when we have to leave. So, I figured I could pull something out of the pantry for dinner.

I remembered I still had some spinach in the fridge, from my basket. Now, my daughter will eat all kinds of veggies. She will eat brussel sprouts without a second thought. Asparagus, no problem. But her least favorite veggie, by far, is spinach. She hates it. So, I have two choices when feeding spinach. I can either just tell her to deal with it and eat it. Or I can do my best to transform it to something a little more pleasing to her palette.

So, I decided to make garbanzo bean patties. Or chickpeas. Or pickachees, as my daughter refers to them. I threw the garbanzo beans and spinach into the food processor. I used the smaller food processor, so I had to do it in batches. I have to say, next time I may add an egg or something else to hold it together. And possibly grind the garbanzo beans finer. But everyone liked them a lot. I served theirs on grilled bread and ate mine by itself. We ate these as the main course (because I totally forgot about that whole roasted broccoli thing I had planned), but these would go great as a side dish to chicken or lamb as well.

Recipe:

1 can rinsed and drained garbanzo beans
1 and a half cups chopped spinach
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup crumbled feta
some chopped parsley
1-2 TBLS olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ceyenne (or more or less)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients (except feta) in food processor until blended. Fold feta into mixture. Form into patties and grill until cooked.

Like I said, maybe adding an egg to the mix would help.

No comments:

Post a Comment