Pretzels

Pretzels

Monday, July 11, 2011

Figs



This weeks basket was pretty darn good. I ordered the Asian Pack, which included napa cabbage, bok choy, green onions, snow peas, garlic, ginger and basil. That was just the Asian Pack, not the regeular basket. The regualr basket had, among other things, a box of figs. I had gone fig shopping a few months ago, because I came across a recipe for fig, procioutto and gorgonzola pizza, topped with arugla. When I went fig shopping, I came up empty handed. Even the fru fru place around here, Market Street didn't have them. Well, maybe they were out of season, I'm not really sure. So, I was really excited to find not one, but two packs of figs in my basket. My friend gave me a pack from her basket. Not sure if it was a birthday present, or that she just doesn't like figs.


So, even though I wasn't really in the cooking mood last night, we've been eating out too much lately and I knew I had to cook. I grilled the pizza, which is how we usually make pizza. I think that's where I went wrong. When we grill the pizza, I don't think it gets very much induction (is that the word I'm thinking of?). The toppings don't get as hot. It's usually fine for pepperoni or something, but I think these ingredients really needed a chance to marry. And they didn't. They hardly got cooked. Which is fine, everything could have been eaten raw. I could see how it could work, but I don't think it was a keeper. The arugula was a nice touch, because everything else would have tasted pretty heavy if it wasn't for the peppery arugula.


So, anyway, I just ate the rest of the figs. Because come to find out, the rest of the household isn't too big on figs.

No comments:

Post a Comment