Pretzels

Pretzels

Monday, July 4, 2011

Meringue Fail

So, last week, when we had a basket overflowing with mangoes, I thought the idea of mango meringue sounded spectacular. So, Tweety Bird and I started making this delicious concoction, only to find that first of all it had a lot of steps. And we started way to late in the day. First you have to put the pie crust into the pan. Well, first most of the recipes actually called for you to make the crust. But I wasn't about to do that. I wanted to create a homemade masterpiece. But I didn't really want to create pie dough. Then you freeze the pie dough. Then you cook the pie dough. Then you make the custard. Then it has to cool then set in the fridge. Then you can actually make the meringue portion. I didn't get to the meringue portion though, because the custard never set. It remained a soupy mess until a few days later I tossed it. But since I had the equivilant of 14 mangoes, frozen in ice cube trays, I thought I would give it a shot. Not the most patriotic of desserts, but I was determined. So, I tried again today. And I actually remembered the all important step of making sure that after I put the dough in the pan, to top it with aluminum foil and covered with dried beans. I didn't do this last time and the pie bubbled up in the middle. So, this time I was off to a good start. And I made the custard and put twice the amount of cornstarch that it called for. Then I poured it in the pie and hoped for the best.







Here's the result.






I have to say, this picture is totally misleading. The pie still never set. It was like mango soup. i served it with spoons. I should have served it in a bowl. My wonderful family all said it tasted great. I think it tasted like mango soup. And I'm sticking to lemon meringue from now on. I've made those before and they didn't turn out like soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment