Pretzels

Pretzels

Monday, June 27, 2011

Mangoes, Mangoes everywhere

This was a crazy weekend. We had our block party Saturday, so I really didn't have a chance to use any of my basket on Saturday at all. Did eat a lot of delicious food though, including tacos de lengua. Which, in case you weren't aware is Tweety-Bird's favorite thing to eat. Also, in case you weren't aware, tacos de lengua are tongue tacos. Beef tongue tacos. And they are awesome.





Now, this basket was big. Well, I bought two extras as well. Some weeks they offer extras, like large quanities of a specific fruit or vegetable. One week it was pickling cucumbers. I was ever so tempted to buy the crate of cukes. I was going to pickle them all. I'd never pickled or canned anything and the prospect made me a little nervous. Also, I don't own any of those cute little jars that one uses for that. I figured after I bought everything I would be very heavily invested in these pickles. And while my daughter LOVES pickles, I don't think my husband has ever eaten one. So, I didn't buy the pickles, or the blackberries, or the apricots when those came up. But I did pick up 4 kilos of mangoes. First, I had to google and find out how much a kilo was. Sounded like it would be 8 pounds of mangoes, which sounded like an awful lot. But I wasn't going to let the mangoes pass me by like the blackberries. So, as of Saturday, I became the proud owner of 17 very, very ripe mangoes. So, as of Sunday, I decided it was time to become the proud owner of this totally awesome mango slicer. Now, I, much like Alton Brown, am not a huge fan of uni-taskers. But this thing is awesome. It split through the mangoes, and left hardly any waste. I'm quite in love. Especially after spending the whole afternoon (ok, I'm exageratting) pureeing mangoes and putting them in ice cube trays. And attemping a mango meringue pie. Which is still in the process. And it doesn't look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment